jwgli...@gmail.com (John Gilmore) writes:
> They opposed providing every programmer with his or her own terminal:
> terminals were not needed all the time; they could be shared, as
> keypunches had been.  They opposed the use of color terminals,
> describing them as costly frills.  They opposed the use of non-impact
> printers, IBM or Xerox.  They oppose the modernization of ancient,
> creaky applications: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  I could extend
> this litany ad infinitum et nauseam; but my point is, I hope, made.

while i had terminal in my office while undergraduate (and system
support for univ. systems) and home terminal since mar1970 ... there was
perception that terminal on every employee desk was expensive
... required justification in bi-annual budget planning and executive vp
justification sign-off.

circa 79/80, we did business case justification that 3yr depreciated
capital costs of terminal was less than monthly cost of business
telephone on every desk ... aka some opinion had been formed in the dark
past and never bothered to be updated. part of the cognitive dissonance
was also the major split between the batch/card paradigm and the online,
interactive paradigm.

in this era also say departure of Jim Gray to Tandem and his leaving
behind his "MIP Envy" tome ... one version here:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007d.html#email800920
another version here ...
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/gray/
at:
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/gray/JimGrayPublications.htm
as
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/gray/papers/MIPEnvy.pdf

also from IBM Jargon

MIP envy - n. The term, coined by Jim Gray in 1980, that began the
Tandem Memos (q.v.). MIP envy is the coveting of other's facilities -
not just the CPU power available to them, but also the languages,
editors, debuggers, mail systems and networks. MIP envy is a term
every programmer will understand, being another expression of the
proverb The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

... snip ...

it references that "MIP envy" started the "Tandem Memos" email storm ...
aka I had been blamed for online computering conferencing on the
internal network in the late 70s and early 80s (folklore is when
executive committee was told about online computer conferencing and the
internal network, 5of6 wanted to fire me) ... the "Tandem Memo" were
actually kicked off from report I distributed after visiting Jim at
Tandem ...  the first two entries in "Tandem Memo" here:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013.html#email810402
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013.html#email810403

When Jim was departing ... he also palming various stuff on me,
interacting with customers on RDBMS, DBMS consulting with the IMS group
at the santa teresa lab, etc ... this is different than the stuff I did
for the IMS group involving supporting channel extender and local,
channel-attached 3270 terminals at offsite bldg ... recently mentioned
in post in this thread:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013b.html#55 Dualcase vs monocase. Was: Article
for the boss

from IBM Jargon:

Tandem Memos - n. Something constructive but hard to control; a fresh of
breath air (sic). That's another Tandem Memos. A phrase to worry middle
management. It refers to the computer-based conference (widely
distributed in 1981) in which many technical personnel expressed
dissatisfaction with the tools available to them at that time, and also
constructively criticised the way products were are developed. The memos
are required reading for anyone with a serious interest in quality
products. If you have not seen the memos, try reading the November 1981
Datamation summary.

... snip ...

also in this period there was a rapid spreading rumor that some of the
top executives had started using online email ... followed by a wave of
middle-management redirecting the yearly allocation of terminals
(justified for engineers and programmers) to their desks ... so they
could appear to be part of the emerging online culture. This gave rise
to jokes about a whole decade of middle management with terminals on
their desks with profs menu being burned into the screen face (i.e. they
would log on in the morning and leave the screen for show, never used
... all their email actually be processed on their behalf by their
assistants).

a decade later ... there were lots of instances, of middle management
pre-empting the latest & greatest PS2 shipments for development products
... to their desks for profs terminal emulation (i.e high-end 486 PS
with large 8514 display being a terminal emulation status symbol, more
important that any organization projects).

in any case, there was lots of activity & decisions that were based on
opinion w/o any cost/benefit analysis ... first the continued, erroneous
perception that terminals on every desk weren't cost justified and then
the redirection of annual allocation of terminals to middle management
desks for purely status symbol purposes.

other posts in this thread:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013b.html#43 Article for the boss: COBOL will
outlive us all
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013b.html#45 Article for the boss: COBOL will