On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 6:04 PM Bob Bridges <robhbrid...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been doing mainframe security for a few decades now, but I've never
> learned IBM's version of assembler (I still have ambitions of doing that
> eventually) so I may be mistaken about how RACROUTE works.  But my
> impression is that the question the OS asks the security system might look
> like this:  "About resource HLQ.XYZ in class DATASET, does ABC have
> UPDATE access to it?"  In other words, the question specifies the class,
> the resource name, the user's ID and the level of access (READ or
> whatever), and the answer is a simple Yes or No (or in rare cases "I can't
> tell").
>
> Am I mistaken in that?  If not, then how do you learn what access ABC has
> to HLQ.XYZ without asking once for READ, once for UPDATE and so on?

That's close. But the access is "hierarchical" ALTER access implies CONTROL
access implies UPDATE access implies READ access.  So if you want to know a
person's access, you'd start at the most powerful and go downward.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.ichc600/rrauthstd.htm

,ATTR=READ,ATTR=UPDATE,ATTR=CONTROL,ATTR=ALTER,ATTR=regspecifies the level
of authority requested. RACF checks the resource profile protecting the
resource identified by the ENTITY and CLASS keywords. The values have the
following hierarchical order:

   - *READ*
   - *UPDATE*
   - *CONTROL*
   - *ALTER*

That is, if a user has update authority and ATTR=READ is specified, RACF
returns a return code of 0. If ATTR=CONTROL, RACF returns a return code of
8.
*For multilevel secure environments*:

   1. When ATTR=READ or ALTER, it will be treated as though it was a
   read-only request for purposes of mandatory access control (MAC) checking.
   2. When ATTR=UPDATE or CONTROL, it will be treated as though it was a
   read-write request for purposes of mandatory access control (MAC) checking.

If a register is specified, the register must contain one of the following
codes in the low-order byte of the register:X'02'READX'04'UPDATEX'08'CONTROL
X'80'ALTER
The default is ATTR=READ.

> ---
> Bob Bridges, robhbrid...@gmail.com, cell 336 382-7313
>
> --
People in sleeping bags are the soft tacos of the bear world.
Maranatha! <><
John McKown