From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Tony Thigpen [t...@vse2pdf.com]
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2020 7:25 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: OOBOL and English was Re: Still COBOL After All These Years?

Bob,

I was referring to your "Wikipedia
(https://secure-web.cisco.com/1KI3faUsQ4YEpgh7TyZ4fLSApgKA8S4U6_YCt5N7I9n70WHQJlTRhnwY585_ptp9A0THTRBN2o2Rx306X21ywdEePy1x4O_8UxlPcpzs_aP1veOkERadnjzsak0KEEFxEdZKLnoptrQcN2EzhKZIG9JPbcH9K_2aGl8-5a4UuKjiiMGsfbr5UycCe7JnMawJwMf3W2W-BNzH-PwYujuTPsK9JK9JGHHKjFFdVpCCvGZA1i3pz7Kmd3JlQCXrbqgbbeJi9HvtGz_k6UrRZOVwREOVatIdIP4ATkdKMmLYz5EmMqlV-LgbQotYi-hCBm6pLY3ehNRS66ZkWSB74FlkexXgACUIIHFpfseZE5_GuPS_PsxfrWSLdjdzkuqWwpfR2FYA8DzEns3lb49R6U9ofdnkB9IfXpigOuG69R54YnxEjARG3XEcbmSMwY6TLNCmB/https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FAluminium%29
 says this about the name:"
quote when I said that google is not an authority. Anybody can write
just about anything into google. Most teachers will not allow quotes
from google due to the mess that google is in.

The people at Merrian-Webster have always been considered authoritative.
If we can't trust the people that produce of the the top dictionaries,
then we are lost.

In this case, I was saying that "here is a much more authoritative site
that backs up most of the story posted on google."

Tony Thigpen

Bob Bridges wrote on 7/20/20 2:04 AM:
> Always interesting, if you like words (and I do).  Thanks.
>
> "Google", you say?  Google isn't the source of my information, only the
> warehouse (so to speak).  The first source I quoted was Mr Davy himself.  But
> maybe you meant Wikipedia; a lot of people express varying amounts of
> derision when they hear Wikipedia mentioned.
>
> ---
> Bob Bridges, robhbrid...@gmail.com, cell 336 382-7313
>
> /* The arguments against state-controlled churches apply with equal force to
> state-run schools.  No free society allows the state to claim authority over
> the mind.  -Joseph Sobran */

 about the name: