<snip>
an ESTAI routine passed once on a single ATTACH could potentially get
driven multiple
times as an ABEND of the parent task was propagated to various daughter
tasks?
</snip>

I'd quibble about an abend being propagated to daughter tasks. I don't
think of it as "propagated" (particularly because the specific abend is
not propagated). Daughter tasks are abended (13E/33E) because of the
(in-process) termination of the parent task (prior to the parent task
beginning resmgr processing).

But yes, if the parent task has an ESTAI defined, its daughter tasks would
have that same ESTAI routine (the control block representing the ESTAE
(SCB) is copied so that the subtask has one too). That routine would get
control for each task that has it, according to normal recovery rules. If
every ATTACH specified ESTAI then the subtasks could end up with a lot of
ESTAIs due to this propagation (one for each level in the task tree from
the first that used ESTAI).

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design