Thank you Jim, appreciate the detailed explanation which is understandably
similar to Peter Relson's back in March.

My intent want not to take this thread in another direction, just thinking
about PSF in terms of the poster's original question...

On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 19:11:33 +0000 "Christopher Y. Blaicher"
<cblaic...@precisely.com> wrote:

:>We have a program that ran fine on a z13 that now gets an S0C4 on a z15.
:>On a z13 we could access data in the PSA in the 2048 to 4095 range without
going into key 0.  The specific field is PSASVT.
:>To get to that data now, we have to do a MODESET to key zero.
:>Anyone else find this as a problem?  Was it there with a z14?  We jumped from
a z13 to a z15.

Thanks again,
Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Jim Mulder
Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2020 9:18 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Strange S0C4 on z15

Caution! This message was sent from outside your organization.

  The first machine to implement ESA/370 was the 3090E.  This was done via
microcode updates (since the 3090E hardware was designed prior to ESA).  It was
not possible to implement PSF in microcode, so MVS used x'1000' as the data
space ORIGIN, Every subsequent machine (starting with the 3090S) implemented
PSF, and MVS used 0 as the data space ORIGIN.  That is still the case today,
unless you specify HIDEZERO=YES on DSPSERV CREATE, in which case the ORIGIN is
x'1000'
and page 0 is hidden,  This is desirable because it avoids PER ZAD events, and
gives you a 0C4 abend instead of incorrect results when you accidentally use a
bad pointer value in the range 0-FFF.

Jim Mulder z/OS Diagnosis, Design, Development, Test  IBM Corp.
Poughkeepsie NY

"IBM Mainframe Discussion List" <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> wrote on
08/19/2020 07:01:09 PM: