From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 1:28 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: MVS modify command capture

You know, I would think it would be possible -- nearly trivial -- to write a
generic Rexx script that would issue any arbitrary console command, collect the
results, and do "something" with those results -- where "something" was any of
the things Rexx can do, such as writing it to a file. Would not be hard at all.

The script could append to a dataset named userid.CMDLOG (or whatever) and you
would have an ongoing log of every console command that each userid ever
entered, and the responses.

(No, not forensic-level. It assumes a trusted user. It would answer the
question "what the heck was that command I issued, when did I do it, and what
was the response?" not the question "we suspect Bob is a bad guy -- what did he
do to our system and can we prove it?" Still would be useful.)

Or could append to SYS1.stcname.CMDLOG and you would have a log of every
command ever issued to a particular STC name. (Again, not forensic.) Trivial to
parse out the first operand of an F or P command.

Charles