I was thinking more along the lines of things that prevented earlier operating systems from even IPLing on newer boxes. Such as z13 is the last processor to have ESA/390 mode. I also have it in my head that at some point there were changes to the page size and virtual storage tables that caused havoc.

Tony Thigpen

Seymour J Metz wrote on 9/1/20 3:30 PM:
Typically the new features reqiured by a level set were added over several
generations, and each generation added more than one feature.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of Tony
Thigpen <t...@vse2pdf.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 1, 2020 3:25 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Architectural Level Sets

IBM has had several Architectural Level Set points where there were
significant changes to the CPU that prevented earlier operating systems
from running on them.

What CPU's were involved with each level, and what was the real
underlying item changed on the CPU that forced a new level? (Let's keep
it limited to z990 and newer.)

Tony Thigpen