If I were to consider this (which I don't because my shop _is_ going away
1Q2021), what I would do is have a "golden image" (aka sysprog sandbox or
the GI) in a different LPAR. This image would have access to all attached
devices, including sharing a virtual tape environment. But the "core"
volumes would be _isolated_ from all other LPARs via the IODF / HCD. This
would include the GI specific catalogs (at least the master) and RACF (or
TSS or ACF2) database. The GI would do at least weekly backups of all the
volumes to the virtual tape. So the GI could be used to recover the other
systems' volumes.

If there is no virtual tape environment, then there needs to be a separate,
GI only, set of DASD which would be used for the backups of the real
volumes. Of course, this doubles the size of your DASD farm. For the truly
paranoid, and rich, this DASD would be on an entirely separate array which
is not accessible from any LPAR other than the GI LPAR.

Or, as I have actually done, use DFDSS (or FDR or ???) to make volume level
backups & download them to a USB drive. USB drives can be mind boggling
huge today. I saw a flash drive with 1TiB. But an USB attached SSD can be
even bigger. LIke this 16TiB USB 3.0 attached, encrypted, array: (there is
also a 30 TiB array -- of course you'll need a lot if you're talking about
a PetaByte environment).

https://smile.amazon.com/Buslink-CipherShield-CSE16TSSDB4SU3-Hardware-Encrypted/dp/B01JVVHYZM/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=usb+ssd&pd_rd_r=5a1bbdc9-acaa-48d2-9518-4bcd087cd0d8&pd_rd_w=OrRWX&pd_rd_wg=6dxyr&pf_rd_p=e47220c0-687b-448f-b180-4a20654b7464&pf_rd_r=8BZ5ET5XHGMBMD3A23E7&qid=1599306202&refinements=p_n_feature_three_browse-bin%3A6797522011&s=pc&sr=1-2