I should of course have written STORAGE OBTAIN and not STORAGE GET.

I have also verified that Edward Jaffe's clarification is entirely
correct.  I am now more than a little curious to discover how this
particular bug was discovered.

It is clear that one can specify GOFF and quadword alignment and then,
avoiding with care or having had the blind luck to avoid any GOFF
features that are not supported by the linkage editor (or the binder
pretending to be the linkage editor), obtain a load module.

What is not entirely clear is why anyone would wish to do so.  (I can
think of a scenario or two, but none is very plausible.)

About Peter Relson's comment: I do not think that the use of
residue-class arithmetic should be equated with Houdini-like escape
skills.  Gauss invented it as an early adolescent; and now, 250 years
on, the rest of us should be able to use it, at least as adults.

More generally---I will not labor this argument---there are many
situations in which it seems to me that CNOP is the most natural
device to use to obtain unusual or varying alignments within an
instruction stream, not least because its effect is local and not
global.  It is free of surprising and sometimes noxious side effects.
Others may of course have other views.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA