From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Steve Horein [steve.hor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 25, 2020 9:00 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: SMF to capture user login history

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 1:11 AM kekronbekron <
000002dee3fcae33-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> I hope no one encourages this kind of snooping on the list.
> Stinks of an attempt to police working hours.
>
> - KB

Meh.
The first shop I worked in implemented something like that to track the use
of privileged IDs that had elevated permissions to update production
resources. At the time, the scope had been TSO, so I wrote some automation
that would send an email to the "security operations center" if RACF IDs
matching specific patterns generated an IEF125I, IEF126I, or an IEF45*
message. The time frames from logon to logoff/abend needed to be justified
with a change request or incident, otherwise it would be considered
suspicious activity. Yes, it meant having to maintain two sets of IDs - a
BAU ID for day to day work, and the privileged ID for changes or recovery
support, but it satisfied someone's requirement.