No particular goal in mind.  Just learning.
I already know REXX fairly well.
Thanks.

________________________________
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin <0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu>
Sent: Monday, November 9, 2020 2:20 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
Subject: Re: Learning shell scripting

On Mon, 9 Nov 2020 20:48:23 +0000, Frank Swarbrick wrote:

>While I've used Unix/Linux systems on and off for over 30 years, I've never
>really taken the time to learn shell scripting.  For a z/OS environment are
>there any highly recommended tutorials and/or references?

Largely, I glanced at examples and read man pages.  I never went
down a path such as "Shell for dummies".  I think I became competent.

I also recommend z/OS Using REXX and z/OS UNIX System Services
SA23-2283-40

Not shell, but enormously useful.  Much of the power of the standard
"C" library with the ease of coding Rexx.

What's your goal; what would be your first practical/demo shell
(or Rexx) program?

In my earliest encounter with UNIX (Solaris) I was impressed by the
significance of the "Uni" prefix; the ability to use a single language
for terminal commands, scripting, and batch; as opposed to TSO,
CLIST, Rexx, JCL, ...

And the *uni*formity of shell's lexical analysis.  Granted there are
some commands you'd like to be peculiar; I find this outweighed
by "everything works the same."  Except for outliers such as
"dd" (needlessly -- I suspect it was invented by an OS/360
partisan) and "find" (with better reason -- it's command line is
somewhat like you'd expect of a DFSORT control flle).

What's your goal?

-- gil