As you know, USS commands are ported so sometimes they don't correspond to
their *nix ancestors. So, reference this often:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.bpxa500/toc.htm

When I was getting started many yrs ago in kernel development I always enjoyed
"Unix Power Tools" , there are many versions of it out there, not sure legally
hosted or not so I will leave those PDFs searches up to you (I still have a
hard copy of the book).

I do find much overlap with USS and *nix concepts.

https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/unix-power-tools/0596003307/

Along the lines of shell scripting, look into Z Open Automation Utilities to
enhance your scripts to do even more MVS functions beyond what USS supports.
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSKFYE

And if you are like me, you will find shell scripting now replaced with Ansible
Playbooks (I can do so much more and so much quicker).
https://ibm.github.io/z_ansible_collections_doc/index.html#