On Thu, 19 Nov 2020, at 15:46, Rupert Reynolds wrote:
> Most people I mention it to are surprised, and they expect it keep running
> until a modiFy or stoP tells it otherwise.

A good example (if it still is?) of a STC that starts to do something and then
stops is/was SMFDUMP.

We used to use STCs for archiving NetView logs, for copying SYS1.DUMPxx
to tape (and runnng initial IPCS analysis on them but leaving the listings from
that online, linked to a sysprogs dump-management utility.  Pattern matching
on dump titles dictated which IPCS verbs were used on which dumps).

I also used STCs to do things on behalf of low-privileged TSO users, when
ispf dialogs they used would request things and SA/390 automation would
start the right tasks (having checked those users were permitted to make
those requests).

Some of these STCs ran in only a few seconds.  Often they had multiple steps
and combined code written in assember and rexx.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.