On Tue, 24 Nov 2020 at 14:12, Kirk Wolf <k...@wolf-associates.com> wrote:

> I'm doing ISPF-compatible member enqueues, while loading a bunch of members
> with BPAM/BSAM.
> I'm following the doc, which indicate SCOPE=SYSTEMS:

OK. But SCOPE=SYSTEMS isn't a different namespace such that a
competing program within the same system won't see it if it asks for
SCOPE=SYSTEM. (I'm speaking of obtaining an ENQ here - not of
explicitly scanning for existing ones.) In other words, if you have
just the one system, I can't see any reason to be specifying SYSTEMS.
If ISPF has ENQ'd using SYSTEMS, your program using SYSTEM will still
wait for it. And the other way round.

> I guess that I don't understand the distinction between GRS and sharing
> within a SYSPLEX wrt SCOPE=SYSTEMS.   I had assumed that SCOPE=SYSTEMS is
> not only GRS, but also for serializing across members of a sysplex.  No?

Yes, it is. But for your situation, who cares; if you have neither GRS
nor a Sysplex, then just use SYSTEM. Of course you might want the same
code to work safely in sharing environments, so you can either test
for the environment, or better, leave the management of cross-system
stuff to whoever configures these things on the target (customer?)
system. SYSTEM level ENQs can be filtered by name, selectively
promoted to SYSTEMS, and so on.

> BTW: with SCOPE=SYSTEM, it is blazing fast.

So my suspicion is that you do actually have more than one system
sharing. But why, if it's IBM's Dallas setup in a VM?

Tony H.