Your post reminded me of a program I wrote that would first check and set a flag as to whether it was running from TSO CP, JOB, or STC. The input parms would be different for TSO of course, and I think the JOB/STC difference was so I'd know to put the output in SYSPRINT or a WTO. Kind of nice to have one program for all 3 environments this particular function required, I thought at the time.

On 12/2/2020 8:54 AM, Charles Mills wrote:
When you invoke it from JCL you are invoking it with LINK or something
similar. Any program that runs from PGM= should run from LINK, CALL or
ATTACH provided the usual "MVS" linkage convention is honored by the
invoker. (Yes, it would be technically possible, but relatively unlikely,
for a program to check to see if it were the jobstep program and quit or
behave differently if it were not.)

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Mike Hochee
Sent: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 11:25 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Invoking IFASMFDP utility via CALL, LINK, ATTACH ?

Wondering if anyone has attempted to invoke the SMF IFASMFDP utility
(handles dumping and clearing of SMF data set logs, digital signature
validation, etc.) via program invocation using CALL, LINK, or ATTACH?  Some
of the dfp utilities allow dynamic invocation from a program, and for those
some doc is provided, however I found no equivalent doc for IFASMFDP.
(probably not a good sign)