1. Yes, maybe I described it incorretly.
Regarding your question - yes I need something like
convert ifile ofile [-tablefile]
Just byte to byte translation. No CR/LF issues, no record boundaries, just byte to byte. The file can be large (may not fit in memory).

I agree, it is not black magic. Actually ...I did it in the past.
I wrote simple program in Turbo Pascal. AFAIR 1 hour later I modified it to read translation table from a file. However it was many moons ago and the tool is no longer usable, cause it is 16-bit application (for DOS) and current x64 Windows does not run such programs. There are tools like virtual machine or just DosBox, but it seems to be Rube Goldberg solution. While I am still able to code a program (I hope so!), I don't want to start the project, install huge tool like Visual Studio, start learning "foreign" language, learn all the environment specifics, etc. It is just like building brewery just to have a beer for dinner. Not to mention security policies. As I said, I did it in the past, using ancient (now) tools, and I know how to do it in z/OS realm. And it seems simple, so I hope someone already did it and the tool is available as many, many other tools. HxD has many advantages, but I guess it has no batch mode. Batch is better - it is automatic ;-) I don't know how many files will be processed that way, now it is possible to do it manually, but thing may change.

2. This is even simpler tool, maybe it address rare need - just to truncate first nnn bytes from beginning of file
Possible usage:
truncfile -header -12384 ifile ofile
truncates/deletes header, which is 12384 bytes long, the output is written to ofile. Ofile is shorter than ifile, the difference is 12384 bytes. No CR/LF issues, just byte after byte.

I'm going to install HxD and try its features. However I'm still looking for something batch-able.

Thank you!

Regards
--
Radoslaw Skorupka