From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Billy Ashton [bill00ash...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2020 4:24 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Using symbolic DD names

Hi Lizette, as I noted originally, the vendor program uses control
statements, where certain values are passed in on the control statement.
These user-defined values drive the DD statement it is looking for. In
my example,  the table number is being passed in on a SYSIN control
statement (it could be with the other parameters, like ....,TBL=01,...)
, and so the program knows it needs to find DD statement TB01DAT. Since
it is vendor code, I don't know what the do internally, but I suspect
with assembler, you can build your own DD statement on the fly before
you try to open a file.
Billy