Am 30.12.2020 um 21:55 schrieb Lizette Koehler:
So the question becomes, can your Program handle a constantly changing DD Name?

What would be the benefit from doing this?

In Cobol you predefine (If I am allowed to use this word) the IO Section.
Which specifies the DD name - consider that hard coded.

I am not aware of any language construct that allows for a DD name to be
randomly selected in a program. On z/OS

The C language on z/OS allows the DD name for input and output files to be constructed at runtime:

f = fopen ("dd:ddname", "r");

but the argument to fopen can be a variable, too.

I would be interested if anyone has an example.

And yes Scheduling products can supply symbolics where native z/OS might now.

Could you provide an example where your program when it executes would use a
random DD name in JCL?

I have written a DB2 tool, where the results of several SQL statements are written to arbitrary DD names;
input control file lokes like this:

ddname1 := SELECT ...;

ddname2 := SELECT ...;

and so on ... the program is written in C, obviously;
the same ddname can be used later in the input stream to use the file again (for example to trigger UPDATEs or INSERTs or DELETEs with the data fetched by the previous SELECT).

Kind regards

Bernd

Lizette