On Wed, 6 Jan 2021 18:01:53 +0000, Frank Swarbrick wrote:

>"bpxwunix() can be used outside of the z/OS UNIX REXX environment (for
>example, in TSO/E). In this case, stdin, stdout, stderr, and environment
>variables are not inherited from the current process environment. For example,
>when executing a REXX exec in this environment, you must either export the
>PATH statement before invoking the REXX exec (command = 'export PATH;tsocmd
>time'), or supply the PATH statement to BPXWUNIX (env.1='PATH=/bin') in order
>for the REXX exec to execute properly. Otherwise, the REXX exec fails and
>message BPXW0000I is displayed."
>
>From
>https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.3.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r3.bpxb600/wunix.htm

Looking at the example  I suspect the OP followed, from:

https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/system/files/inline-files/CSM_Session_automation_v1.1.pdf

o It fails to supply stdin
o It supplies a PATH which probably doesn't contain "echo".

This ought to be worthy of an RCF.  The author should have tested his Exec
under IRXJCL.

Why "address tso"?  I see no TSO commands.

-- gil