I've been playing around with COBOL and the Unix callable services.  Kinda
cool!  Glad they are not limited to assembler.

________________________________
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
David Crayford <dcrayf...@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, February 5, 2021 12:24 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
Subject: Re: TCP/IP relationship to OMVS

On 5/02/2021 1:32 am, Charles Mills wrote:
> TCP/IP certainly makes use of lots of UNIX services.

Yes, and it goes both ways. I'm working a project right now with one of
the original IBM OMVS developers and he told me that the BPX callable
services wrap Comms Server APIs and then the LE C/C++ runtime wrap the
BPX services.
AF_UNIX sockets are handled in OMVS.  It was an inspired decision by IBM
to provide callable services for z/OS UNIX and not another macro
interface like EZASMI.