OK, now I get it.  That sequence would indeed almost exactly emulate LINK.
And therefore, there's probably no reason to do it; but who knows.

I didn't say that RBs were esoteric, only that the need to create one with
SYNCH is.  I think the typical case is for some authorized code to run a
user exit somewhat safely.

sas