On Fri, 19 Mar 2021 14:43:05 +0800, Timothy Sipples wrote:
>Paul Gilmartin wrote:
>>The latter suggests that a pseudo RNG is periodically reseeded
>>by the TRNG
>
>Yes, that's right. CPACF on the IBM z14 and LinuxONE II models, and
>higher, have this feature. If you try to use the TRNG for every random
>number request it's really slow, but fortunately that's not required to
>achieve the desired, certified outcome. Seeding is rather important,
>though, and that's why they're there.

Thanks.  UNIX has long had /dev/random, a TRNG (subject to hardware
availability) and /dev/urandom, a seeded PRNG.

For a while I had a Solaris tower under my desk.  The perceptible
difference was that "cat /dev/random >/dev/null" caused the fan
to speed up audibly; "cat /dev/urandom >/dev/null" was silent.

And:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavarand

-- gil