Paul,

In the normal pgp encryption processing, you encrypt the file using the public
key of the target system/vendor.  There should be no need to use the
passphrase, when encrypting a file to send to someone...

The passphrase used on the other side would be so that they can get access to
the private part of the pgp key, which is the only thing that can decrypt the
file.

Peter