From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Alan Altmark [alan_altm...@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2021 5:03 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: When did CMS stop requiring S/370 mode?

On Tue, 11 May 2021 12:49:47 +0000, Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:

>Thanks; I asked because I was editing
>https://secure-web.cisco.com/1qF3LLRjAEjPJv5KtUV-K9CbO4DnYgfRDo3ZSn1_xMxR7CtneI9X3pixEXbrKcDZXzfqpnNoc0FBg3JqkhcKHjjbf71_VSHQD8uVF5nhT5s0z1he266mbm8-gs0sjGTNLlIOwftwnw_hTxQFIcq-Q2A42YRn1D3I_5DVuBtOuesPYzEP7j9rZjdkzwQI5_fJHluqQh1R8srPdb7LxBx3Q5vDyJd2JiLunB2Nnz5W48ZqHtzHHkPII6j_mK3JuSCbqISFs0BpcrnDg6FlhbB-odGoWTCEM1m-xf-ZyxtoUGjs5zBvo0Y4WCpjuFPeJOCSnIvDAGt7Ax9V-Ja7Kql3dlPAMI_baDl4USLIWrr9_4HMh877LoYO5mAEqW6ofuCnXc1DBqfyRbK2G1u1dqX7IgvMXsn0sNrKQkDZhEqvxO3u2u1rpaRA7nhoToxpTrfNr/https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FCMS_file_system
> and there was a footnote
> referring to cuu addresses. I've added some text that I hope puts things in
> context.

There are other issues with that article.  In CP-67 and in the earlier releases
of VM/370, there was indeed a limit of 6 file modes.  In VM/370 those limits
were relieved; you can see TNLs that did it in the VM/370 manuals on Bitsavers.

The FST format shown is from the CDF file system.   EDF was part of SEPP or
BSEPP ([Basic] System Extensions Program Product, I think), which was
eventually integrated into VM/370, also visible in the VM/370 manual evolution.
  With EDF, those halfword fields weren't large enough, so the FST was expanded.

>Are there online documents listing the change dates? If so, I probably should
>add citations.

The announcement letters for each release along with the associated General
Information manual let you piece together what was possible in each release.

And sorry if I wasn't clear about 370 mode.  z/VM 3.1 could *run* CMS/370, but
we stopped shipping it in Version 2.