We haven't done much with Java in the last few years, but our experience with mission-critical production Java apps on z/OS (going back almost 20 years) is a little mixed.

- JVM startup is rather expensive, especially the full JITing of classes.

- the more classes you pull in (like huge class libraries), the more costs can get out of hand

- most Java programmers don't worry about what things cost (at all :-)

- long running apps that are well written and focus on performance can run very well, even when compared to traditional MVS compiled languages or even assembler -  Not based on low level language metrics, but by exploiting algorithms and class libraries for data structures, caching, etc.

- good low-overhead (sampling) profiling tools for the z/OS JVM don't exist (maybe this has changed?).   IMO this was a huge barrier for Java on z/OS.

- Sometimes CPU costs don't matter where time to market or functionality are more important or where the application doesn't run that much.

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com