From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of CM
Poncelet <ponce...@bcs.org.uk>
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 7:01 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: JCL COND vs IF/THEN - Best catch up resources for MVS / ZOS
Technologies

"I don't like it when IBM takes away tools" - and IBM stopped publishing
system control block DSECTs with ESA, thereby preventing sysprogs from
modifying its OSes (or so it thought.)

Next step (perhaps in 10+ years' time) will be to withdraw support of
native SMP/E (and thus of CBPDO/CBIPO installs) and enforce using
custompac (or custompak, whatever it is now called) instead. That would
be a "progressive and continual stultification ofmainframe systems
programming" and of IBM's progressively taking over full control of how
customers' systems are installed, managed and maintained - as is already
done by Micro$oft.

How "COND=" works is trivial and needs no 'help' from "IF/THEN"
statements. "COND=" just means "execute the step *unless* any of the
COND= parms is true." Anyone who has difficulty understanding even
*that* should not be working with mainframes.

Chris Poncelet (r)