So does DITTO. I also have my own HLASM tape copy programs that use basic CCWs for tape I-O that I could modify, if needed, to read the readable sections of the tape.

The bigger problem is the programs that created the back-ups. For many of the tapes, we don't even know their internal format or what software wrote them. Or, if the software is still on the machine. We think it may still be there, but maybe not. And, the tape manager has changed too so the supporting information that the tape manager may have had may not still be available either.

Tony Thigpen

PINION, RICHARD W. wrote on 6/8/21 4:26 PM:
Doesn't FDR's FATS and FATR have the ability to read tapes, and skip unreadable
blocks?  Some
data is better than no data at all.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Tony Thigpen
Sent: Tuesday, June 8, 2021 4:21 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [External] Re: access to 9-track reel tape drive

[External Email. Exercise caution when clicking links or opening attachments.]

I have customer 3490 tapes from the 90's in my storage vault. (I also have good
3490 drives.)

We told the customer that we do not know if the tapes were even readable when
we got them 8 years ago. The told us:

"We don't care. As long as we can tell the auditors that we have the tapes, we are
good to go. If there is ever a need to read the tapes, we will fight the problems reading
the data off the tape at that time. If a lawyer wants data, we will then do a 'good
faith' attempt to read it, but not until then."

Tony Thigpen