From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of Bob
Bridges [robhbrid...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, June 18, 2021 1:29 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Coding for the future

Aha, my evil troll worked!  BWA-HA-HA!

Shmuel, I'm happy to take this off-line if you prefer, but I take the
definition of pi to be the ratio of the diameter of a circle to its radius.
In an uncurved space that ratio is constant; on the surface of a sphere, it
varies.  If you insist on thinking in three dimensions -- three uncurved
dimensions -- then it will seem to you that the Flatlanders on that sphere
are simply mistaken about the radius about their circle.  But I submit that
it's a mistake to dismiss their curved surface as an illusion, and to assume
our uncurved space is the only reality.

I'm assuming you understand what I'm saying, and just disagree with me.  But
if you don't follow what I'm saying about the radius of a circle drawn on
the surface of a sphere, I'll bore you with further description.

---

/* No single raindrop considers itself responsible for the flood. */