On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 21:21:31 +0000, Gibney, Dave wrote:

>In the days of cards, when your //SYSIN DD * might be the last file in the
>current deck on the reader

The lore communicated to me was:

When the reader's hopper is empty, the reader hangs on a read.

Three's a button the operator can press to simulate EOF in the channel status.

So, does /*EOF allow unattended operation of the reader?

I believe that //name JOB ... likewise serves to terminate the previous job.

How does //SYSIN DD *,DLM=XX interact with /*EOF or //name JOB ...?

In a CDC 6400 OS, a job was terminated by a 6-7-8-9 punch in column 1,
invalid in either text or binary encoding.

I heard legends of another OS (UNISYS?) which simply stacked SYSINs
on a batch input tape.  If any job opened either too many SYSINs or
too few, subsequent jobs read the wrong data sets.

-- gil