From: Tony Thigpen <t...@vse2pdf.com>
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Sent: Wed, Aug 18, 2021 7:52 am
Subject: Re: even an old mainframer can do it

The problem is that he approached his objective from the wrong direction.

It appears that is objective was to 'avoid changing the JCL for
different control cards'.

We do write some of these type programs for queries that end-users need
to submit. Maybe TSO based on CICS based. But, we normally just prompt
for the data card parms and then submit a modified JCL member to JES.

Sometimes, we programmers need the same sort of process and because we
just need to do something all the time and are lasy. Thus TSO panel for
submitting compiles.

But, we normally just use a front-end to make a minor change to the JCL
before it is submitted.

This guy, who claims he is a "Seasoned mainframer guy" (and I will
ignore the fact that it's either "mainframe guy" or "mainframer" without
the "guy") apparently decided that the JCL was 'evil'. That is what I
don't understand. He took something that any basic programmer/operator
(mostly) understands and replaced it with something that few in the
field would understand.

It seems very Rube Goldberg to me. And, I agree, it seems 'woke' to me
too (as in 'JCL' is now the new evil').

Tony Thigpen