On Sun, 19 Sep 2021 11:53:18 -0500, Hobart Spitz wrote:
>Once you have Pipes you don't need or want EXECIO.  ...

At times the effort of converting existing art outweighs the benefit.  And
POSIX
pipes are portable to desktop systems; CMS/TSO Pipelines is not.

>   - Pipes can read from or write to either a DD or a dataset.  z/OS EXECIO
>   can only use a DD.

>   - When a dataset is specified, Pipes defaults to OLD when writing.  This
>   is something that z/OS access methods don't even check.  You could still
>   accidentally shoot yourself in the foot, but it's not obvious in JCL  In
>   Pipes to have to explicitly override the default by coding SHR next to the
>   dataset name.  I don't know why you would want to.

Pipes ought also support the SPFEDIT ENQ:
    <https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.1.0?topic=integrity-member-name-enqueue>
as FTP and NFS do in order to allow safely updating one member of a PDS by one
job while another job processes a different member, and to allow creating
different
members concurenttly, supported by PDSE but not PDS.  With "1000s of stages"
a programmer might not easily check for this.

Is there any protection against FANOUT's having downstream stages that
destructively
update the same data sett?  Does Pipes do "ENQ RET=HAVE"?

-- gil