Go? Lua? Ruby? Rust?

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
David Crayford <dcrayf...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2021 8:51 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Mainframe Modernization

I think "Mainframe Modernization" is an umbrella term that can be used
to describe many different things. That may be new UIs  or application
modernization such as adding a REST API to a legacy application. IBM are
doing a great job adding modern languages to z/OS that have features
traditional mainframe languages like COBOL lack.
I'm currently working on a product that takes monitoring data from
legacy products and streams it to analytics platforms such as Elastic,
Splunk or publises metrics for Prometheus/Grafana. Customers already use
these platforms for their distributed applications which interact with
the mainframe and it's important for them to see the entire stack using
modern solutions.

I don't consider 'cloud' or 'devops' to be BS. Devops has transformed
the way we work. We use Git, Jira, Bitbucket, Jenkins, Artifactory etc.
When we merge a branch in Git it fires off an automated Jenkins build
that can package our product and run tests. The old way of doing things
manually using batch jobs was error prone and tedious.
WRT cloud, I can stand up a personal development z/OS VM using Ansible
Tower in less than 2 minutes. I can do that from a web UI or by calling
a REST API. On the distributed side I'm a big fan of orchestration
technologies such a Kubernetes.  I run a single command to stand up a
cluster of VMs to deploy a software stack for testing.