> After successfully getting my FTPS and SFTP JCL set up and working right

> here, some manager got a bee in his bonnet to say that he wanted to use
> HTTPS protocol from his JCL, because he read that HTTPS was the best way

> to go. I tried to explain that HTTPS was meant for browser applications,

> and that some special application would be needed to process the HTTPS
> headers and data, but he insisted I try to find a way to make HTTPS work

> from JCL.
>
> So...can this be done? Can a batch JCL job run HTTPS to do file
> downloads? If so, can you help a brother out and let me see how you do
> it, so I can see if we can do it here?

The issue is you need an HTTPS client program to run in a job step.
Supplied with the z/OS base there is no HTTPS client program equivalent to
the z/OS Comm Server FTP client program.  Some applications, like SMP/E,
have a built-in HTTPS client program to perform file download, but it is
specific for use by SMP/E and not for general use.  I expect some folks
will chime in to recommend CURL or similar, but you'll have to obtain,
install, and configure that if you don't already have it.  You could use
the HTTP Web Enablement Toolkit to write your own client program even in
REXX, but out of the box a fully functional HTTPS client program is not
readily available.

Kurt Quackenbush
IBM -- z/OS SMP/E and z/OSMF Software Management
Chuck Norris never uses CHECK when he applies PTFs.