From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2013 2:01 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Dataset DELETE question : IEBFR14 vs IDCAMS

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 14:38:41 -0400, Steve Thompson wrote:

>Now, go whack the person that wrote the JCL that has the following
>similarly coded DD statement:
>
>//SYSUT3  DD  UNIT=3390,SPACE=(CYL,10),DISP=(NEW,CATLG)
>
>This is what produces a data set name like this:
>SYS12048.T104505.RA000.IBMUSER.R0100008
>
>The DISP is NOT needed for a "step only" work file / data set. So
>during DEALLOCATION at step end, this type of data set just goes away.

Indeed.  And for good measure, I'd whack the z/OS (...OS/360?) designer who
decided that the proper behavior in this case is to KEEP but not CATLG the data
set.  I'd have made CATLG without DSNAME a JCL syntax error and never initiated
the job.

-- gil

The information contained in this e-mail may contain confidential and/or
privileged information and is intended for the sole use of the intended
recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this communication
is strictly prohibited and that you will be held responsible for any such
unauthorized activity, including liability for any resulting damages. As
appropriate, such incident(s) may also be reported to law enforcement. If you
received this e-mail in error, please reply to sender and destroy or delete the
message and any attachments. Thank you.

NOTICE:  This e-mail message, including any attachments and appended messages,
is for the sole use of the intended recipients and may contain confidential and
legally privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient, any review, dissemination, distribution,
copying, storage or other use of all or any portion of this message is strictly
prohibited.
If you received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender by
reply e-mail and delete this message in its entirety.