Dave Jousma wrote on 01/03/2022 at 02:43 PM:

> On Sat, 1 Jan 2022 21:01:06 -0400, Eric D Rossman <edros...@us.ibm.com>
wrote:

> >I think you have the right idea.
> >
> >You want ICSF started as early as possible and ended as late as
possible.

> >You likely want to use early ICSF which will run ICSF under the MASTER
> >address space instead of JES (either via the ICSFPROC and ICSF system
> >parameters [preferred] or via COMMNDxx using S CSF,SUB=MSTR) and
configure
> >ARM to restart ICSF. I don't recall the details but I believe that ARM
> >will not work for system address spaces (like ICSF when started under
> >MASTER) on older z/OS releases. I know for sure that it works for
system
> >address spaces on V2R5.
> >
> >Ensure that the P CSF is done after all exploiters are stopped
(definitely
> >after Z EOD).
>
> Eric, thanks for responding from IBM.   We run with early ICSF
> started under master from IEASYS00 settings.   Is it even necessary
> to shutdown CSF on system shutdown?  I ask because with so many
> things using encryption now, including CF structures, etc, there is
> likely a window for problems?

That's a really good question (and a complicated one). While the
recommendation is to terminate ICSF to allow for a clean shutdown of
tasks, I think a STOP ICSF can be (mostly) safely avoided.

There are a few asynchronous tasks that ICSF cleans up when it terminates.
What comes to mind as being most relevant is data related to key usage/key
lifecycle and reference dates. Instead of recording every piece as it
happens, we queue up and periodically record it, both to SMF records
(usage/lifecycle) and in the CKDS/PKDS/TKDS records (reference dates, if
using KDSR format).

If SMF is already stopped, ICSF SMF records related to key usage and key
lifecycle won't get recorded, so perhaps the best option would be to use
the operator commands to tell ICSF to stop recording both key
usage/lifecycle and reference dates and flush everything it has cached for
both categories. If you do that, both the SMF records and ICSF KDS updates
will happen immediately. Then, you can safely issue the Z EOD to harden
the SMF records.

I cannot say that it's perfect (obviously, none of the actively after the
operator commands will get recorded), but at that point, you have already
terminated just about everything anyway, so you are unlikely to miss much.

Eric Rossman, CISSPĀ®
ICSF Cryptographic Security Development
z/OS Enabling Technologies
edros...@us.ibm.com