From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Rony G. Flatscher [rony.flatsc...@wu.ac.at]
Sent: Monday, January 3, 2022 9:09 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: ... Re: Top 8 Reasons for using Python instead of REXX for z/OS

My name is Rony G. Flatscher and I have been working as an IS professor at a
European Business
university (WU Vienna) who has acquired quite a bit of experience in teaching
BA students
programming for the past 35 years. Over the course of the years I taught e.g.
COBOL, BASIC, Pascal,
Open Access Programmer, C/C++, VBS (Visual Basic), VBA (Visual Basic for
Applications), Java, and
tested one semester REXX with a very surprising effect: the BA students can
learn programming much
faster in REXX than in any other programming language (including Python taught
by colleagues)!

The secret lies in employing Object REXX for teaching as it includes
structures/types and the
powerful message paradigm in addition to all of the classic REXX capabilities.
In a four hour
lecture these BA students (some total newbies, some already with programming
skills) learn REXX and
then the object oriented concepts/features of Object REXX in a single semester
(four months).

In the middle of the semester (after two months), they not only are able to
create simple programs
in REXX and Object REXX, but taking advantage of the COM/OLE library on Windows
that comes with the
Windows version of Object REXX. This empowers them to interface/program the
Windows shell and any
Windows application with an OLE interface including all of MS Office using
Object REXX only! It is
impressive to see how quickly they become empowered to exploit MS Excel or MS
Word for their needs
with Object REXX!

At the end of the semester (after another two months), using an Object REXX
library that makes
accessing Java possible from Object REXX, these very same BA (business
administration) students have
been empowered writing Object REXX programs to create GUIs (graphical user
interface programs using
awt, swing and later JavaFX), create client-server socket programs (including
SSL/TLS), parse XML
text files with SAX and DOM, interface/program Apache OpenOffice and
LibreOffice all with Object
REXX only.

And the best about this is, because of using Java class libraries from Object
REXX, there is no need
to a) learn the Java programming language oneself and b) all Object REXX
programs run unchanged on
Windows, Linux and MacOS including GUI Object REXX programs!

To get so far in teaching programming skills at a Business university in a
single semester (only a
four hour lecture) has become possible with Object REXX, it would not be
possible with any other
programming language I know of for reasons, that have mostly to do with the
"human oriented"
philosophy of the REXX programming language (set forth by its father Mike F.
Cowlishaw) which also
has been an important guiding principle when IBM developed Object REXX. This
translates into
becoming able to quickly learn the programming language Object REXX which also
means that it is a
rather cheap (cost effective) to learn programming language compared to
learning many other
programming languages!

IBM and the REXX Language assocation
(https://secure-web.cisco.com/1T1N-4v3xJUBNQakaj5FAYqYg8o-XH7JkXPUIBvelFXA0BrxTjfmxOVvVwqJ0KeICf2zer_di9i1CXPOZDH1RWED3Tu6A4QLaW9k2JcvoXgOJPAvzBH8lNsXCBE4WZfT_2jC7LQ6PzyT5LVQnvuLIcjro5NstoO5Y0cJZv6tam1RWAG4nd3VL52COhF3vj00geMAzkzN9PfENOsOs1F69eliOP5V6DRte3BBL-v-FK_DzF61Z4OKMPK7BHMFveiSxcYFZ0T0FNPSqalUDuE_0qfKN1NFydHp0I8VpBNcrPzAc_UMeXt_pNmMdsKK56WZZ5gvTMTHkdZlECo8g7YyY-Ju3Hncixi86Xq5mIf6l9xSWqUeX-rFHUUzT8svFZogx22IxmuXXM6d9eYTIXk0gXMMCxzPiPcuBUpUyCg21WWBuBvoX1OUjfpzzF_0rN6qA/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rexxla.org)
 entered into successful negotiations
to hand over the source code of the IBM product Object REXX and since about 15
years there is an
"open object Rexx (ooRexx, oorexx)" interpreter with source code that has been
constantly
maintained, developed further and that gets released by RexxLA.

There have been also IBM mainframe shops that have started to use ooRexx on
mainframes in the meantime.

The purpose of this message is to draw your attention to a great REXX
programming language,
originally developed by IBM, open sourced by RexxLA, and as a result available
for all important
operating systems. ooRexx can be a great "SAK" (swiss army knife) tool for any
REXX programmer!
(ooRexx can run rings around many other programming languages including Python.)

But before being able to take advantage of ooRexx at all one needs to learn
about its existence in
the first place, hence this post. Here are two short articles which you might
find helpful in this
context (download link at the top left hand corner):

- An introduction to REXX and ooRexx: Resurrecting REXX, Introducing Object
Rexx (2006),
<https://secure-web.cisco.com/1QV_vLVbqMat8FZwZBDTVLXorA0nmmNDVW_MA6azpPUM6OxOA0sXX6rsbKzUFobfVs29r-bnkAo-y2QgQ4rR-z-lDeZxwog6xHSDZn8p6M39y_h7wLtXhyb6WYev1fY1xZ9tEL47sVp5F6OH4YT57j9R-Lr45GGitb0-sEgfdZ6vMKQbipgnQrcABqNbzENR9WzEySq5olUyT3ItHwiKGsgpOleq-qj4QPvJ9qPmzqmen1i6LFMT8mh44G-82JGGvoWgipogN39Ory8RkxykXpJ3Tov4rR4F7jixI6PitrBTaNqz1oB3Axs5Ue5Jb41hkgwccy9guruq4zDI_J3lfuAEljHW4Kdh8tK-PGrv-U8hpGlvrT1OLtOsheO9vR_-OOjtGKr7Kpuj9fslQVbqi1G2xsI3VZPPSF5LpTb_zUlSF3kiA9X2o8NeAcSwnar8k/https%3A%2F%2Fepub.wu.ac.at%2F8118%2F>

- "Business Programming" – Critical Factors from Zero to Portable GUI
Programming in Four Hours
(2021),
<https://secure-web.cisco.com/1SvG8JqV-7olZRKN8V1rgPX10tLRwYHZLhHmAy88TXLRxJeeuRiHU5MPoXsuRnDZ3YxT86M9Sdb_DZU6EWDwH9x1DphDiTQT4b82CBp4il4Qt_sroEUN-aWmMPPStHa2G0-DtykNDT9Pkmk3AJTN4s6JuyNYpvnvmqhUD1TuFRtz6Yi1WGFHMI7KjpGpukRIFU-fazfSQ8R2b1fr7HlBQO2ocUQ992HtuCMt80pPkTyaEmNyrkhp0H3OPjb0F9slOSS5HUsGCmL7A5t2G10NPktGmwjDftXrZwFpFMTZz1Sr6U8chuhHHHAXnoR7dUe5SipV31FW263XFA76iN2yKQGJ16yMfR7_bMCPlR2qb1SBUMb7YMPUc4_0HPL6GXnoLix8eZCumWqiC75yducGfFJj07hGsnx2v8Gg0kSijqFz5ailgOvfzB4eVn6xP9ATe/https%3A%2F%2Fepub.wu.ac.at%2F8425%2F>

---rony

P.S.: It is not uncommon that students who use Linux start to replace their
shell scripts with Rexx
scripts as this is much easier and much more powerful after having learned
Rexx/ooRexx.

Prof. Dr. Rony G. Flatscher
Department Wirtschaftsinformatik und Operations Management
Institut für Wirtschaftsinformatik und Gesellschaft
D2c 2.086
WU Wien
Welthandelsplatz 1
A-1020  Wien/Vienna, Austria/Europe

http://secure-web.cisco.com/18_4XeCD9xyUcGMRuuvCzsEEo-bM-_hTqnXBSmhdYsNArsaXeRjUMHlRcqQp1yjP8ljGpXJknvJ27OpjEpmrQARaodpWxJcA25yyV9Akdc9c2aw8-Y2Y4g_83nwRzjztw9Gfg0BmaRlsuLK0FbnXd6G1M7tem9Q1Jh3L5JZIOYihKtf_FUBH-YIpxujMtsFwYDIqB-dOic6cIWGfcawdVnik_kE8x7W7cN9Cb6V0XrGd84OQoi_YB1NvUDXQIPoEmOpUpBzkSoCiL9lhOB2D57roR4PmMGn5lf5HXidpZpgAcdM8Gm6I2or2utp-5-yswy05QSRaYyT_zr0PEVvscKmHvgb66u2r_MXKvN5IufsmrcC71hwvV0pim0kaIhu5jmRrgW10y82mg9HF33EeqUi6cBcirOXXQZOgsdYD5B7A9R2L-oPrEZUJx_xIfcV7m/http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wu.ac.at