I usually include JCL under the ~very~ general rubric of "programming
language", but even mentally I think that's a stretch.  It's more like a macro
language, sort of like .bat I guess.

I may as well take this opportunity to include a mild rant.  I've often heard
the programs you can write for automating some applications referred to as
"macros"; I have in mind VBA, for example, and what WordPerfect used to have if
WordPerfect is still around.  It always seemed to me that VBA qualifies just
fine as a programming language, and what I write in VBA is not a "macro", just
a program.

But then what is a macro?  In searching for some sort of distinction that would
justify there being two different words, I've concluded to my own satisfaction
that a macro is a set of instructions that have no decision-making capability,
maybe no if-then syntax and definitely no looping, probably no arithmetic,
possibly some rudimentary logic operators like NOT (and may only NOT).  The old
.bat language would fit this description; so would JCL, especially before they
added IF statements.  So, if I remember right, are the instruction sets I used
to write for QMF.  But not VBA; not even TECO.  (Anyone remember TECO?)

Now I sit back and wait for someone more knowledgeable to correct me either on
the capabilities of the languages I named, or on the definition of "macro".

---

/* Little glances over the breakfast table, rough-housing with the kids, an
affectionate argument while getting ready for a party, a brave good-bye upon
reporting aboard...courting and the first night are only the invitation and the
dinner bell, with the full feast to be savored slowly for decades.  -Bob
Bridges */