On 7/01/2022 12:23 pm, David Crayford wrote:

I understand that it's declarative. But it has logic such as IF/THEN. That is no reason why it couldn't have been a scripting language like CL on AS/400.

IF/THEN was a late addition, and is probably one of the biggest problems with JCL because it doesn't work like IF/THEN in a programming language. IF/THEN is really a property of the enclosed steps (I suspect it generates the same thing as equivalent COND statements on the steps) rather than a logical block in the JCL.

e.g. from the JCL reference:

The system processes the following statements regardless of the logic of the IF/THEN/ELSE/ENDIF statement construct. They can be placed in a THEN or ELSE clause, but they are not executed
conditionally.
• PROC and PEND statements
• JES2 and JES3 statements and commands
• JCL command statements
• Comment (//*) statements
• INCLUDE statements
• Delimiter (/*) statements
• Null statements
• SET statements

The IF/THEN/ELSE/ENDIF statement construct does not conditionally control the processing of JCL; rather, it conditionally controls the execution of job steps.

--
Andrew Rowley
Black Hill Software