From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Lionel B. Dyck [lbd...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, January 7, 2022 11:44 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: ... Re: Top 8 Reasons for using Python instead of REXX for z/OS

I've been following this thread and one thing that has yet to appear, or I
missed it, has to do with 4GL's and the drive, at one point, for languages that
were more human oriented - those that could be written more like a normal
sentence or phrase, and avoid the technical jargon/gobblygook/syntax. As I
recall in the 1980's there were a few but nothing came of them, instead we have
languages that have their own syntax, and which require extensive learning but
nothing that allows a non-programmer to actually generate a complex business
program.

>From my experience, REXX has many of the 4GL goals as the syntax isn't overly
>complex and is something a non-programmer can comprehend rather easily. As has
>been previously mentioned in this thread, REXX can be more readily learned and
>used than the majority of the current languages. It isn't perfect but it works
>very well.

My $0.01 on the topic.

Lionel B. Dyck <><
Website:
https://secure-web.cisco.com/1939VPwC3cb4S_k-aFsodIU_iOH0Qh5AN_37Xpmk5230u2bpYLvveYqFNVyE5cqqA5UUOBvWUms44mTgRBzmqgOQnnpDnOpCWQT4rxiImRUUcSdDo5JKPcFsR2bTulM1DEC4NxASJQxmD8olXQBxIwRrvsyYEWTZPSinWkW3QoSf3WflAgML4355UQKau5b_NPtePAYNmHgKvwtXpbtN5p8dNfs7H6FR60XxtYrU7JQm-lkxbIpQjUs8_fds71Gzl83emvb1mHvCv0etYw_K4ce5ExwTxVbwfA0AljTVN1Ps2IHaE6n49Fn_Oyxh0MlOQm_zAsvFuyWar2u_zC4snXw1lJT-rDpW59f0VfmaOv78cITkVE90pbyScyfRqTl0fEDIYYcmClCWQolbgMZWgqj0KJi0c5o1FKpZ6Y1vZSZpT1fITKc8x7-t-e0IBfkik/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lbdsoftware.com
Github:
https://secure-web.cisco.com/1QmtCmbPfBm0yGGkzxrTVUUDY7L_QNPHyHvLyQeCVs_Zs-halqY4ba0YFDC6zFwt8A3WdwZin9Germ4b4cHsPlyjyiHtqGm_g39bGtNEiS6sx3YqAqLs_jOQM4HEsVE-L5ptkGHxas1QTCdjdsVEgeP-uVxQlYelJE4xp2l-IlkzHsM0Dt6rL6DeHINbBnPjAEeDPI2qHAF9r8NfjphBCVD4_UWG4voy-au3QVl73Zas6okGwRE0oY94_FLzPQ_VJF2AGLjTx48JjQNRu6BWbHKZoi9dRSQ3n_8lMTmOAELH6RALJ1VmIk_Tqcxilzg_H9rfICw7P5cyF8L369iLqkFAuYHW-RZw3mGTpes9Rrnb7QO0SBC6YD5TNgHjdac8bMLy0WHM2zOPC_GFXFTNWttcdmPLkDL9Lzx-W3XJeI5W8rnOttRrlQRlwDp06THj0-G8YJBakOVFXh0HouLY-dg/https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Flbdyck

“Worry more about your character than your reputation. Character is what you
are, reputation merely what others think you are.”   - - - John Wooden