From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of Bob
Bridges [robhbrid...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, January 7, 2022 4:24 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: ... Re: Top 8 Reasons for using Python instead of REXX for z/OS

I agree with Shmuel; we heard a lot about 4GLs back in the '80s and '90s,
but I never saw one that lived up to the claims.  DYL-280II, for example,
was advertised as a 4GL, but it wasn't close.  Don't get me wrong, as a 3GL
I liked it just fine, and my company had me teach it to end users so they
could fetch data from their particular databases without throwing off
developers' estimated completion dates -- very successfully, I add happily.
But it was no 4GL.

Actually I lump 4GLs and AI into the same bucket.  They're related, I think:
Folks dream of getting computers to think and talk like a human, but so far
it hasn't happened and I suspect it cannot happen.  But then as a Christian
I'm also a mystic, by which I mean that the 37 cents' worth of chemicals
that one often hears about are not what we are, only what we're made of, and
that the scientists' attempts to figure out what consciousness is and why it
evolved is doomed to failure because they're starting with the wrong
postulates.  But, heck, I may be mistaken.  Maybe someday a computer will
pass a really decent Turing test.

I'm not concerned that my profession is about to wither away, though.

---

/* Woe to him inside a nonconformist clique who does not conform with
nonconformity.  -Eric Hoffer */