I looked at your list and I am happy to see that these include the things you
find important. JS is undeniably a big factor but “the good parts” is a thin
booklet. As is groovy - slow and nevery had any appeal to me, just looks messy.
I quite like Ruby as an idea but slow as molasses.

Today I looked at Lua, and although quite elegant, small and snappy, I am
really disappointed that this is one of those languages that gives you wrong
answers for numeric problems and having unicode support in a utf8 library that
is different from the string functions - that is just funny. I am not implying
that all Rexx implementations shine in this regard, but that is just neglect.
NetRexx does, however, as it does in unlimited decimal precision arithmetic.

Of course NetRexx can use the Java stream API for functional programming. That
remark is just as odd as ‘it only has one type’. The fact that it is from 1995
and can use features that only appeared in Java 8 - personally I find that
telling about the quality of the design. But I am not telling you that you need
to like it - like the way we are told that we now need to like Python more than
Rexx, while it cannot do what we need to do - for all the wrong reasons.

Looking at your list of requirements I think Scheme had it quite covered. Some
of them are gimmicky and some seem useful. None of them address the core
qualities of the mainframe, which are Channels, packed decimal, DB2, CICS and
COBOL (as long as you forbid dynamic memory).

I think the discussion has strayed too much from what sparked it, which is a
hitpiece with 8 untruths about Python and Rexx. Yes we like all languages to be
available, and well maintained on z/OS. Please provide interfaces and
precompilers for the main infrastructure. It is remarkably odd that IBM does
not invest in the things that made the platform what it is, but it is not my
problem. If the message is that the mainframe now can run the same software as
the Raspberry Pi or your generic AWS instance, so be it.

I think you will find that other people are emotionally attached to their tools
and programming languages, it is a human thing. Also, I found that not all
people can easily switch between a large number of ever-changing programming
languages; which is meant as a compliment to you; but nevertheless very true.

So I thank you all for a very interesting discussion.

Best regards,

René.