From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin [0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu]
Sent: Friday, January 7, 2022 4:58 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: ... Re: Top 8 Reasons for using Python instead of REXX for z/OS

On Fri, 7 Jan 2022 19:43:58 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>Well, if you introduced the concept of steps into a script language then it
>shouldn't be too hard to also add the concept of passed data sets. Named
>temporary data sets also shouldn't be difficult. Or you could just use, e.g.,
>~/temp.

With JCL, the processor generates a unique name; makes it available
in subsequent steps and reliable removes it when the job completes.
Not easy or even possible with UNIX facilities.

>Overrides are necessary unless you can anticipate every ad hoc change that the
>user might want to make; otherwise he would have to edit the script.

Il a les défauts de ses qualités.  I'm uncomfortable that someone cam
mane unanticipated  ad hoc changes by overrides to my read-only
library PROC and complain that it doesn't  work.

-- gil