Level set: I know what I am doing in Rexx. I am real familiar with and have
written function packages already.

I want to write a function that will be callable both from Rexx and from
C++. (This may be my first adventure with Metal C, but that's a different
topic.) The C++ part is easy; let's talk about the linkage from Rexx.

I know I can call from Rexx using "standard" MVS linkage using ADDRESS
LINKMVS or LINKPGM. (We just went over the differences here; let's not
digress into that!) But if I am RTFM correctly, LINKMVS/PGM requires a
separate load module or alias (or IDENTIFY and I don't think I want to go
there for this). For the sake of neater packaging I would like to linkedit
the callable function into an existing "function package." Relying on
separate load modules or PDS aliases complicates life in other ways.

I don't *think* I can make a standard MVS linkage function part of a Rexx
function package, is that right? LINKMVS/PGM and Rexx functions live in
different worlds, right? LINKMVS/PGM always searches for MVS entry points,
and only Rexx functions use function packages, is that right?

If I want to do this then instead of using LINKMVS/PGM I will have to write
a "Rexx linkage" Rexx function that provides a glue layer between Rexx and
the standard MVS linkage function?

Or does anyone know something I am missing?

Thanks!

Charles