I read your post more carefully once again ...

If performance indeed is not critical, why not write two things:

- a C function, let's call it C1, which does the construction of the SMF records
and can be called from the C++ code directly

- and a little C main program C2, which does the conversation with REXX
(gets the needed information from the REXX variables) and builds the
interface to C1, much the same way as the C++ code does it, and then
calls C1.

The C2 main program is called directly from REXX as a command,
and because it is a C main, the LE environment is built on every call.

If this is not executed high frequency, it should work without problems.

Kind regards

Bernd