REXX is packaged with TSO/E even though there are non-TSO environments, and the
USERID() function is listed in the section on built-in functions, not in TSO/E
external functions. SYSVAR(SYSUID) is only for TSO.

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Steve Smith <sasd...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2022 4:30 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: How to Get UserID in non-TSO REXX

Well, I do RTFM, but I haven't yet managed to read every chapter of every
manual.  I missed the USERID() function; probably because I need a non-TSO
function, so I didn't scrutinize the TSO list (and I may have assumed that
since it was provided by SYSVAR, looking for a different way to do it on
that list wasn't all that likely to be fruitful).

As it happens, the exec in question can use the getlogin command, as it
uses the SYSCALLS environment for other reasons.  But userid() is the best
answer to my question.

I'm willing to use CB-chasing in REXX, but only if there's no other
reasonable way.

sas