There is no 73-80 dependency in XEDIT/UPDATE either. Just the last 8 characters, so it could be 1001-1008 if you need 1000 characters for your code.

Tony Thigpen

Seymour J Metz wrote on 2/23/22 09:21:
diff/patch is more flexible; no 73-80 dependency.

In simple cases I can see that, but what happens when blocks of code repeat?
Sometimes you need both a screwdriver and a hammer.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin [0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2022 9:01 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: AUXLIST (was XEDIT equivalent to ISPF C - OO/OO (copy overlay))

On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 07:11:20 -0500 Tony Thigpen  wrote:

:>I use a system that generates the AUX files dynamically for each "xedit
:>with update function". There is only one CTRL file, ...
:>
I had a disappointment with XEDIT Update mode:  If I touch
a line; have second thoughts and restore it, even by an
immediate ERASE EOF, it puts the line needlessly in the
Update file.  Working in a cooperative development project,
I resorted to using basic XEDIT and generating my updates
with SuperC UPDCMS8.

I went to SR with the ERASE EOF misbehavior; got WAD.

OTOH, UPDMVS8 requires valid line numbers on both
comparands; UPDCMS8 only on OLD.  So I have generated
IEBUPDTE input using UPDCMS8 plus a Rexx filter.