Paul Gilmartin wrote:

>Bad definition.  XEDIT shouldn't entice users to enter data that

>t won't "take".  The field should have the read-only attribute.

>Is there any rationale for making it writable?

Well, it's not a separate field: this is 3270, so there would be an
attribute byte on the screen between column 71 and 72 if it were R/O (a
fundamental design flaw in the 3270 protocol IMHO, but 45+ years too late to
fix). TRUNC lets you SEE stuff without being able to change it, which can be
A Good Thing.

As I said, I changed it for me 40 years ago, so I'd certainly agree that
it's bogus. There was actually a small rework of those defaults in XEDIT at
one point, but this one didn't make it, apparently.