Tom,

It's been possible to establish a Metro Mirror relationship between a
fully-provisioned primary and an extent space-efficient secondary since
R8.2 although there are some gotchas that need some planning and clean-up.

I'm not sure why you would want to do Metro Mirror within a DS8000? Metro
Mirror is usually done for high availability which sort of presupposes
physically separate DS8000s at a minimum. I think I might have missed your
business requirements.

Also, I'd expect IBM to step up and give you advice when you're spending
money on replication capacity.