From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of Tom
Longfellow
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2022 1:04 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: EXTERNAL EMAIL: General Query --- Any comments on thin clients as
mainframe consoles.

We are looking at retiring the coax connected consoles and terminals at our
site.

The obvious answer is an OSA-ICC with ethernet connected tn3270 devices.

Anybody have a glowing recommendation for the replacement device for the
classic 3270 "green screen"  workstation console?

I am trying to avoid any full blown PC workstation with external internet
connectivity issues.  I want an 'appliance' that we plug-in,  configure and
come back in a few years.
These leads me away from windows based solutions because of their constant
cycle of reboots to install mandatory and recommended maintenance.   And if a
full function PC is provided, I know that the operators will swap screens and
miss that one important message that just highlighted on the console.   I have
some Linux appliances for other purposes that have a 2+ year uptime and don't
wake me up at night with failures.   I reboot THEM when I get an itch.

My urge is to set up a hub between the OSA-ICC and the workstation devices.
Air-gapped from the rest of the world.  Again, any other suggestions are
welcomed.

 Warning: All e-mail sent to this address will be received by the corporate
e-mail system, and is subject to archival and review by someone other than the
recipient. This e-mail may contain proprietary information and is intended only
for the use of the intended recipient(s). If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient(s), you are notified that you have received this message
in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this
message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error,
please notify the sender immediately.