From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Pommier, Rex
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2022 10:07 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Potential Resource Savings Techniques

[External Email. Exercise caution when clicking links or opening attachments.]

David,

My point was that if you allocate the dataset with a very small primary and
large secondary, if the dataset is never opened, you've only wasted a cylinder
of space instead of 500.  I just played with Richard's suggestion of using
SPACE(CYL(0,500),RLSE) and it works just fine, allocating no space unless the
dataset actually gets opened and data written to it.  For some reason I had it
stuck in my head that strange things happened if you set a primary space of 0
but that doesn't appear to be the case.  So even in my old age I learned
something.  :-)

Rex